Saturday, July 1, 2017

At the Museum of  Municipal Engineering, I really liked the tram car we sat in. The guide told the group about how one horse would pull 16 people at a time. When the tram arrived at a hill, another horse would get hooked up so two horses would pull the guests up the hill. A few years later, the city switched to electrical trams so the horses would not have to pull the people. The invention of electrical trams made it easier for people to get around and is still used today.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was really interesting that they had a worker in the front as well as the back of the tram. It made me feel a lot better for the horses that we have seen around Poland and Berlin though since it's less people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a shock to me that they pulled that many people with only one horse and then at the hill had two! I definitely wonder what those horses were feeling at that time. I also noticed the horseshoes the horses had in Krakow. It looked as if those were nailed into the hoofs of the horse which I would imagine to be very painful for them!

    ReplyDelete